Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Importance of Self Care

How many of you take time for yourself?

No, time spent on the John doesn't count ;)

I have been home for ten days after being inpatient for a month. Since arriving home, I have been running from one appointment to the next, socializing like I haven't in years with newfound energy and zeal that I didn't have before, glued to my iPhone and texting in my down time, going to bed at 1 AM and waking up at 5 AM

Sounds like fun, right? For those days I was behaving like any normal 25 year old young woman, active, on the go, sleeping very little, just like I'd dreamed when I was in the darkest parts of my illness.

Yesterday I was supposed to go on a road trip with my mom and little brother. It promised more of the same of what I was already doing: days jam packed with activities and very little sleep. But then, I could not get approval to get my medications prepacked (I live in assisted living), so I could not go on the trip.

It was then that it hit me: I am managing a chronic condition! While the last several days have been a blast, I have taken no time to rest properly or even relax! And that, my friends, is a really good recipe for relapse.

Yesterday I took it slow. In fact, I just propped myself on the couch and read all afternoon. I did not answer my phone. I let myself just be.

And guess what? The world did not end. And I feel much better today.

So today when I got up at 5 AM I was able to do so with a renewed vigor, an energy that was missing ever since I got home. No more anxiety and genuinely happy-overjoyed, in fact.

Do me a solid-whether you are managing a chronic condition or are a caretaker-and do something to take care of yourself this week. It makes all the difference :)

No comments:

Post a Comment