Thursday, November 8, 2012

Useful Products By 3M and Hollister Medical

I will reiterate Hollister MEDICAL -- like stuff with reference numbers that you can order from pharmacies. Not Hollister Co., where you can find jeans and shirts that actually FIT me without having to resort to a belt to keep them up.

Now that we have the cleared up, I will begin :). This is a step by step for applying a securement device to anchor the Abbott Flexiflo Lap J Tube because I cannot be the only one out there whose body is going through a rejection response with this tube.

On the left we have 3M Steri-Strip Benzoin Tincture Compound. It is a medical grade sterile adhesive. This is typically used BEFORE you apply another product by 3M called Steri-Strips, which are an alternative to stitches. So this benzoin tincture is strong stuff.

However, for my intended purpose, it is to lengthen the life of the product on the right, the Hollister Feeding Tube Device Holder (really creative name, huh?). These are actually intended for NG (nasogastric) tubes, and the white clamp around it can fit 5-18 FR tubes. I feel really sorry for the person with an 18 FR tube in their nose (my G tube is 18 FR. It is 6mm in diameter. That doesn't sound large but if that sucker is in your nose I bet you'd be crying).

So basically the process goes like this. Make sure the skin you wish to apply the benzoin is clean and dry. Open the packaging and take out the vial carefully (I would recommend non sterile gloves. They are available at Wal Mart for pretty cheap). Tip the vial so the white tip is facing down. CAREFULLY, but firmly squeeze the part of the vial that is tipped upward. It will look like you broke glass. Don't freak out. You DID break glass, but as long as you did not roll it between your finger tips you will be fine. This will release the benzoin into the white tip facing down. Wait until that tip is saturated. Then apply a thin layer to the area you wish to place the securement device to.

LET IT DRY

The securement device will NOT stick if you apply it while the skin is still wet.

Once the skin is dry, take the backing off the Hollister NG tube device, and place it near the stoma site. I would not recommend placing it ON the site. First off, that benzoin tincture is not made to do directly on an open wound. Second, the stoma needs to be open to the air unless leaking significantly. I have these episodes and use the Patchwork Peddler G tube pads (washable and reusable -- win).

Next, lift the skin anchor just enough that you get it past the clamp. Then close the clamp around the tube -- not too loose so it falls out completely, but not so tight it occludes the tube.

(If it would make you more comfortable, practice closing the clamp and using the release bar to open the clamp back up just so you know and are comfortable doing this before it's in place).

There. You're done.

So what about getting it wet?

My surgeon's office, of course, recommended Tegederm, since it's water proof. Which I had to keep to myself that I am already getting ample supply of the most expensive tape my infusion company carries (Medipore H). So my plan was Glad Press n Seal. People with PICCs do this as well. It works! And it looks hilarious!

And that, my friends, is how to work around a tube that may or may not be driving you crazy.

Enjoy!

End result on bottom. May or may not want to look depending on who you are :)

No comments:

Post a Comment