Monday, September 2, 2013

G tube Feeds: Pressure Relief

After coming home from the hospital again (yesterday) and having to face going back on tube feedings for...the foreseeable furture, I just could not take the thought of having to deal with the nausea and vomiting associated with G tube feeds (since J feeds are pretty torturous).
.I run my rate pretty low...and had been familiar with Farrell bags before. Farrell bags relieve pressure in the stomach by giving the contents somewhere to go instead of vomiting, then gravity reintroduces the formula once the pressure lessens.

By problem solving I cam up with my own alternative.

1. Disable anti free flow valve on a Kangaroo Joey bag

2. Use Kangaroo Y site connector. Insert feeding line in at the top and venting line on the side

3. Prime the line.

4. Start feed

This set up has been a life saver! I've been much more comfortable and not nearly as distended. Best of all? I don't. Lose my meds this way :) after meds I wait 20 minutes before restarting my feeds. Adapting backpacks for this isn't difficult if you are using the 500cc bags.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment