Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Role of Family and Friends (sequel)

When this blog was in its infancy, I brought up the topic of the role family and friends have in the role of the unique, heart breaking, and breath-taking life in coping with and thriving in a life with a severe, prolonged chronic illness

(left, my best friend/soul sister. right, me and crazy hair lol!)

...so let me tell you a funny story....

My best friend and her cat came over a few evenings ago, and we were all having a great time, mostly at Socks' (the cat) adorable antics, that and he became the established King of my household. 

And I let him, because he's cool like that.

In any event, we're having a great time just...being there together, when I took some medication and went through an unforeseen drug reaction that was less than ideal. In fact, it was dangerous, to tell the absolute truth.

Needless to say, we went from spending time together at home, we spent time together in the ER of my hospital (when she was finally let in...). The only things that really changed were that Socks had to go home, but she brought me one of her loved on stuffed bunny rabbit. Just in case, you know. 

That and the drug reaction took a bit out of me, so I had to close my eyes a few times when we were chatting.

A few weeks prior, another good friend was at the ER as the same time I was when his wife was having a procedure done, and when she was finished, they both came into my room to just sit, talk, and reminisce, since he has been a friend since middle school. One of those friends that you hang on to after high school graduation, and any adult knows that is worth more than superficial relationships that dissolve right around your ninth or tenth visit in hospital. They stayed with me until it was late. 

His wife is lovely, and has also become a good friend...one of the few that I'd allow in my room in more vulnerable points in the ER itself.

So what do these loved ones help us as we face every day in a war to keep your life your own, and not entangled in the diagnosis of the medical condition you find yourself in?

Note to friends and family: please trust that even you just being there in the worst of times is one of the most comforting things that anyone could ever ask for when the struggle is at its peak. Even if there are no spoken words. Just another trusted person's presence has a  very healing effect.

Our loved ones are the best ways to remember what our lives were like before chronic illness has ravaged a heretofore fairly happy life. They remind us of our own lives, and how important you still remain to the ones who love you...the ones who love you are there bearing unconditional love.

agape love that grows as you give of it freely without bounds.

My own friends, every time I get to see them, talk to them face to face, changes my heart for the best. If my mind had slipped into the Doldrums without much of my notice, the laughter we share as well as recalling some of the craziest moments we endured together has a habit of leaving a trail back on the road where everyone else is, where the most positive influences in our lives actually comes in, for that moment, if nothing else, makes up Well in the time that we shared together.  

If nothing ever changes for me in this life for the positive (which is not something I would allow, and would only happen since in the end, one really cannot demand a heart to beat), I will know this: that I am loved, and always have been.

That I have shared some unbelievable, hysterical moments with some of the best people in this world. I am convinced, that in the age of anonymity online has dissolved, that the world has grown smaller. 

And within that, I deduce that I really, really have gotten the honor of getting to know some of the most special, giving, loving, courageous, compassionate, and ultimately just plain amazing people that this world has to offer.

And for today, for this post, I rest in that.

Come up with your own list. How has the ones you love in your life helped you in times of trouble? 

Even if you feel alone...I can promise that you are not.

Sometimes we cannot see the world around us, but really are blind with eyes closed.


Open them up...and take in what you are able to see  

No comments:

Post a Comment