Saturday, August 23, 2014

How Birds Fly

I recently was called into remembrance of a traditional story of old. I am not sure if it is unique only to certain cultures or not and I have written a completely different story to share. Regardless of culture, the message, the one I wish to convey, is universal.

A little boy was sitting on a rickety stoop, slowly tracing the circles that concealed the wisdom of trees by virtue of their ages represented. He keeps doing this, and a thought came into his mind: did we kill this tree to make our stoop? What happens when we die? 

He jumped into his yard and scampered down to the next house, where is grandmother lived. Clamoring up the steps in sniffles and sobs, the little one merely stood in the entryway and howled, because he now feared death and felt awful for the tree that was now a place for his family's feet to walk on.

A kind old woman emerged and took the inconsolable child out to the back yard, where she had no deck, no furniture, just grass scattered with wildflowers and trees towering overhead to protect her and her guests in the night. After he finally calmed down, he told her about just discovering that their stoop used to actually be a tree that died. He admitted that now he was afraid of what they do to people when they die...are they made into soap or other household products? 

Or is it nothing, for an eternity?

After hearing what this sweet child's concerns were, she leaned over and place her palm right up to his chest

"That is your heart beat", she said. "It taps out the rhythm of life and directs all of the animals to go where they should, the trees to grow as they should, and teaches birds how to fly. Each in their flock and all together, their wings beat in time with the rhythm of life until one day they are no longer able to keep in time. It is then that they stop flying".

The little boy's eyes began to well up again, asking "So his family is sad because he is dead?"

"Oh, my child. What happens is what benefits us all. Even though the flock in one companion less, their past life's song is added into the all encompassing rhythm of life -- making it stronger and offering of us our hope".

---

I have shown to the best of my ability my life's lessons here. The only thing I ever wished to do in this life is help other people...and to be a writer.

I achieved both.

This life is something beautifully tragic, which can cause chaos and uncertainty in its dichotomy. Both are necessary, however, is you really wish to live this life without regret.

My body is at a point where continuing to keep it going would take drastic measures, painful ones that would include hundreds of pills a day and that is only if there are no problems with the procedures I would need. Physically I am weakened to the point that it really started to wreak havoc on my soul.

So now it is time to let go.

This will not be my final entry. Hospice service has just started, so you haven't heard the last from me on this side yet!

In the face of chronic illness, I did not lose a battle.

I won the war. I am whole. I don't have to constantly fight against a body trying very hard to die while I insist I would like to stay a moment longer. I do not have to devote another second to research regarding my conditions, no longer in and out of clinic and hospital...

...this illness didn't take me, and it never could.

Please don't let my illness take you either.

I am at peace. I am ready.

I will give you at least one last post before we say goodbye.

With much appreciation and love to all of my readers and followers.

Danielle Nicole.

2 comments:

  1. Been taking a break from all of the Oley daily posts and blogs. Would love to still meet. You someday, sounds like in our afterlife now. Just read your post about Phillip and addiction from last month too. Not sure if you are down or done. Sounds like you are done. Have enjoyed the little knowing you I have been blessed to have through your blog and Oley posts. Prayers you get to see your brother soon I guess. Thank you for your blog.
    Live, Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      This decision is based on my own disease progression. My brother had died five years ago, so it isn't a factor. I can tell you in private if you would like to get caught up.

      Delete